Welcome to Winn
The town of Winn makes its home on the East Banks of the Penobscot River. It was first settled by Joeseph Snow in 1820, the same year Maine’s received its own statehood. Originally known as Snowville, the name was changed to Five Islands Plantation before the final name of Winn was selected in 1857.
As with early rural Maine towns, Winn became a thriving community complete with a tannery and supporting local businesses. The tannery was the second largest in the world, but tragically burned in 1892. While the town’s size has declined since, many people still call Winn home. The Haynes family, prominent business people in the forest products industry, have been mainstays in the area, providing jobs for hundreds of area people through the decades. They also gifted beautiful property directly on the Penobscot River to be used as a boat launch and picnic area that is used and appreciated by visitors and locals alike. H. C. Haynes, Inc. was one of the first Trailblazers to donate $1,000 toward Maine D. O. T. approved Pine Tree Trail signs.
H. C. Haynes Inc. is located here in Winn. Thanks to their financial support, and other businesses/individuals like them, the nearly 500-mile Pine Tree Trail will be recognized once again.
Dial 911 for emergency services
Town Office Phone and Fax: (207) 736-7111
Mailing Address : Town of Winn
P.O. Box 98
Winn, Maine 04495